Thursday, June 11, 2009

Scared of Heights!


On June 4th I had the distinct pleasure of engaging in aerial lift training. You can see, in the photo on the right, that an aerial lift is a large piece of machinery, with its own engine, which lifts you high into the air in order that you can get very close to a job that is high up in the air. I am afair of heights, which definitely makes this training extremely nerve-racking. It was, however, a goal that I had set for myself to be able to go just a little higher on this thing than last time I trained. I reached my goal of about 30 feet. Last time I only went 25, so thats pretty good. I just wanted to say thanks, though, to a very patient man named Tim, who took me up in it and taught me how to use all of the controls. He was awesome! He never let me feel like I wasn't doing well enough. I must say that the experience of being so high up in open space made me realize that maybe it wasn't the heights I am afraid of, but maybe its a certain lack of control instead. Of course I was the one controlling the machine, but the idea that I could make a fool out of myself by freaking out was definitely the prime fear factor that day. So, overall, I learned to control the machine and myself and hopefully next time I will be able to allow myself the full 45 feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment