Saturday, April 10, 2010

reminiscence

Remininscence. Its a noun that means: 1.the act or process of recalling past experiences, events, etc. 2. a mental impression retained and revived 3. something that recalls or suggests something else. But as I was walking through the grocery store today I observed and old woman pick up an old style glass bottle of Coke, which , of course is a rather uncommon item on the shelf these days. She held it and looked it over before she placed it and three more bottles of it into her cart. I began to wonder just what she was reminiscing about. I could tell for sure that she was considering something in the past, some memory that this old- fashioned glass bottle of Coke was invoking. I was standing there doing the same thing. What it was she was remembering I will never know, but I do know we all do it. The images are different for each of us, even if its the same event that we are remembering. There are some things, a song, a scent, an object, that none of us can walk past without those memories coming back. The memory might be different for each of us, but it brings people together and reminds us that we are human and have many things in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment